In Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others...
The Bishop’s Annual Appeal is a Catholic, community-wide effort to meet the social service and ministerial needs of all people in Berks, Carbon, Lehigh, Northampton, and Schuylkill counties. The distribution of funds raised through the appeal is overseen by a committee of volunteer parishioners from around the Diocese who ensure that support is provided as follows:
- Bishop’s Scholars Society Scholarships
- Carbon/Schuylkill Grants to Catholic Elementary Schools
- Need-based Academic Scholarships for Catholic High School Students
- Catholic High Schools
- DeSales University
- Alvernia University
- Catholic University
- Mercy School for Special Learning Center
- John Paull II Center for Special Learning
- St. Joseph Center for Special Learning
- School-based Aquinas Programs
- Catholic Charities General Operation
- Caring Hearts Pregnancy Support Services
- Food distribution and community pantries
- Senior Services
- Pastoral Outreach
- Holy Family Manor Nursing Home
- Care for retired and infirmed Priests in good standing
- Sacred Heart Hospital grants
Percentages are approximate and distributions are based upon the greatest need.
The Bishop’s Annual Appeal administration expense of 6% is an exceptionally low number in the field of charitable giving where even highly reputable organizations consume 15% to 30% of their funds to administrative expenses.